They are a mix of healthy with a hint of indulgence, vanilla with a bite of blueberry, and granola traced with bits of brown sugar. They are the perfect complement to a morning Greek yogurt, a touch of sweet for an afternoon snack and a craving satisfied for a late night dessert.
Sitting in a glass casing on the check-out counter at my hometown’s health food store, Peter’s Cornucopia, I first discovered the magic taste of these Blueberry Zucchini Flaxseed cookies when I was in high school. For years, they have been selling them at their in-store cafe, conveniently placing them next to the register to buy one (or maybe a dozen) to bring home. Since I currently live in Boston and the batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies stored in the freezer keep “mysteriously” disappearing after dinner every night, I decided to create my own version of these cookies to have around our house for a healthy alternative.
When I tried looking up the recipe to recreate at home, I found one that seemed as though it matched and so I decided to give it a shot. At first, the ingredients intimidated me. Flaxseed? Organic bran flour? I didn’t know how to bake with these staples, let alone know how to go about buying them. After making a trip to Whole Foods and spending much too long looking at all of the different flours I didn’t even know existed, I packed up the essentials and headed home. I ended up substituting some ingredients, opting for other versions that tended to my personal palette of flavors so that I could make it a Tessipe.
The end result has been 24 healthy cookies that have been dunked in my 9 o’clock coffee, given me a snack to look forward to after I finish my lunch and something that I keep reaching for in my fridge whenever the mood strikes. As I type this post, there are only a few left and I already can’t wait to make them again.
What you will need:
1 ¾ cups Organic Oat Flour (the original recipe calls for Organic Bran Flour)
1 ¾ cups Light Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
3 ¾ cups Flaxseed (dark or light)
½ tsp. Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 ¾ cups Organic Vanilla Flaxseed Granola
1 Zucchini (grated)
½ cup Frozen Blueberries
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, flaxseed and salt.
- Add in the butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the granola and zucchini. Then, add in the blueberries. Mix well.
- The cookie mixture will be very moist so let it set by placing it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- After letting the mixture set, take it out of the fridge. Use your hands to create cookies that are a little bigger than the size of a golf ball. Lightly, pack the mixture into this ball and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Keep in the refrigerator or on your counter to enjoy throughout the week!