Summer is in full swing and there’s no better way to soak up the sun than with a glass of homemade sangria. It is simply one of those drinks that is the essence of summer in one sip. Fresh fruit, red wine, vivacious colors, ice cold. I love that it doesn’t just taste delicious, it looks delicious, too. The purple of the wine, the orange and yellow of the peaches, the pink of the raspberries, the black of the blackberries, the blue of the blueberries. It is a glass bursting with bright and dark hues of color.
Since it is one of my favorite drinks, I have tried many different kinds whether it is from a bottle or at a restaurant. Although my favorite bottled sangria is Eppa (last seen here), I always prefer making a huge homemade batch instead. I created this Red Sangria Tessipe a few years ago and it has been a hit at every occasion where it has been served. I love mixing together all of the ingredients in anticipation of friends enjoying glass after glass. My sangria is unique because I don’t add in multiple alcohols. I stick with the simplicity of the wine and add a combination of other ingredients (like sugar) to enhance the flavor. The best part is that the peaches, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries become saturated with sangria. It is perfect for a hot summer day and for every fruit lover out there. Here’s the Tessipe:
What you will need:
1 4-Liter Jug of Carlo Rossi Paisano Red Wine
1 Cup of Tropicana Orange Juice (No Pulp)
3 Tablespoons of Fine Granulated Sugar
2 Packages of Raspberries
2 Packages of Blackberries
1 Package of Blueberries
3 Ripe Peaches
Juice of 2 Limes
Juice of 2 Lemons
1/2 Liter of Sprite
1) In a large glass container, add the raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and peaches.
2) Pour the Carlo Rossi Paisano Red Wine slowly over the fruit.
3) Add the sugar and orange juice.
4) In a separate bowl, squeeze the juice out of the limes and lemons. Remove any seeds that may have fallen into the bowl.
5) Add the juice of the limes and lemons to the sangria mixture.
6) Cover and chill overnight in the fridge.
7) Just before serving, add the sprite.
8) Serve in glasses over ice. (Try these glasses so that you can carry it anywhere!)
Berrylicious sangria, just for you & i!