One of the best things about living in Boston in March is that St. Patty’s Day is treated like a holy holiday. So, in honor of shamrocks, leprechauns, chocolate gold coins and the color green, my first Tessipe of the month is guacamole! I know, I know, this isn’t exactly an Irish dish, but the color and taste combined will have you doing an Irish jig on March 17th at any party you wear your bright green pants to. Surprisingly, I never even liked guacamole growing up. It wasn’t until a roommate told me to try it that I actually gave a Tostito chip a dunk in the green gunk. I LOVED it and couldn’t get enough of it. After trying a few recipes, I started making my own Tessipe. Here’s a secret: the few pinches of garlic powder were actually by accident. I added them when I didn’t have anything else in my cupboard and it’s the secret magic that will make you wearing the green all over your St. Patrick’s Day shirt. Over the years, I have made this for parties, for date nights with my boyfriend and just for the occasional snack. It is super easy to make, inexpensive and makes a big batch! Here’s the Tessipe:
What you will need:
4 avocados (ripe, soft to the touch)
1 tomato (diced)
1/2 red onion (diced)
1/3 cup of cilantro leaves (chopped)
1 bag of Tostito Scoops
1) Take a knife and slice all the way around long side of the avocado. Twist the two halves until the avocado becomes two pieces, revealing the pit in the middle. Remove the pit with a spoon. Do this with all 4 avocados.
2) With a spoon, scoop out the green middles of the avocado. Throw away the outer dark green skin of the avocados.
3) Dice the tomato and red onion into little pieces (so that there aren’t large chunks when you mix all the ingredients together).
4) Chop the cilantro leaves into little pieces.
5) In a large bowl, mix together the avocados, tomato, onion and cilantro.
6) Cut the lime in half. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the guacamole mixture.
7) Add salt and pepper to taste and a few pinches of garlic powder.
8) Use a big spoon to combine all the ingredients (I like to leave the avocados a little chunky rather than totally smooth).
Now it’s your turn to take a Tostito Scoop to dunk in the green gunk. Happy St. Patty’s Day to you & i!